Acupuncture remains a go-to for many, mainly attracting users looking for a holistic pain management solution. The ancient approach is ideal for almost anyone and helps in many instances, such as managing headaches, lower back, neck, osteoarthritis, and dental pains. New City acupuncture can also help in instances beyond pain, such as alleviating stress and anxiety and managing chemo-induced symptoms like nausea and vomiting, to name a few. Acupuncture is effective, and you can realize much more of its benefits if you follow certain measures. Among the simple tips that can help you get the most out of acupuncture includes:
Make it a process
Acupuncture is not a one-time fix-and-forget solution. To realize the best results, you need to make it an ongoing process. After the first acupuncture therapy session, you might not experience the incredible effect you might expect. With a few follow-up sessions, you will enjoy notable progress that will make the therapy an invaluable addition to your health and fitness regimen.
You might need close and frequent sessions to rebalance your QI (body energies), and once you have had significant progress, fewer sessions. A strategic schedule can help squeeze more sessions and spread them out afterward, allowing the body to rebalance and self-heal better.
Before the session
As your session draws closer, you need to take the proper measures to facilitate smooth therapy and realize better results. Such measures include:
- Arrive in time: This ensures you have enough time to relax and prepare for the session. This will help avoid stress and set you up for a great session.
- Clothing: Wear loose, comfortable, and relaxing clothes.
- Focus: It helps if you also avoid distractions, such as turning off the phone during the session.
- Food: Eating before the sessions is alright, especially since you will have the energy to redirect. However, you should be smart about the amount and food choices. Ideally, avoid highly-processed, sugary, and fatty food. Also, take light meals to ensure you are comfortable.
- Avoid stimulants: Items like caffeine and alcohol, among other stimulants, should be avoided before the session. This is because they can block adenosine production during the session, a chemical compound that helps deliver a relaxed and calm feeling.
Plan the day
Acupuncture does not necessitate downtime. You can dive right back into your routine after the session. Nonetheless, it helps if you avoid strenuous activities. The therapy helps rebalance and distribute your energy more effectively to different parts. The energies are directed to various parts to facilitate healing, which can be impacted by strenuous activity. This distraction means you won’t get the best possible results, emphasizing the need to plan your day and ensure the session won’t be followed by strenuous activities.
Follow the recommendations
Your acupuncturist is more than just skilled at positioning the hair-thin needles and targeting acupuncture points. They are knowledgeable and can provide practical tips to help you adopt a healthier lifestyle following your situation. This will help optimize acupuncture effectiveness and improve your overall health.
Acupuncture can seem scary as the thought of multiple needles piercing through your skin hits. However, traditional therapy is safe and effective, which you can optimize by following practical measures as highlighted above. Visit Integrative Health of Rockland today for more on acupuncture and how you can realize better results.